Calling IT support is a great option to have. However, computer services can be expensive, especially if you have to call them very frequently. There are a number of easy things you can do before calling IT support that will fix most minor problems. Here, we’ll take a look at some of those things. If none of these actions seem to eradicate your problem, it might be time to call computer repair or network repair services.
Before You Call IT Support…
- Have you tried turning it off and on again? Shutting down is always a good first step whenever you’re having trouble with any electronic device that has frozen, stopped functioning correctly, or displayed a cryptic error. You’d be surprised how often problems with computers, printers, routers, MP3 players, and cell phones disappear forever after a total re-boot. The important thing here is to avoid pulling the plug, if possible. Press and hold the power button for about five seconds, causing a hard shut down and then restart the tower, not the monitor.
- Can’t Connect? When your internet network is down, there is a particular order in which you should restart the various components. If you have a high speed connection and multiple computers, you probably have a modem and a router. If one or more of your computers can’t connect to the internet, try a network power cycle before calling IT support or your internet provider. Start by shutting down all computers that can’t access the internet, the modem, and the router. To shut off the modem or router, you’ll probably have to unplug them. You’ll know they’re off when all their lights go out. Turn on the modem, giving it a few minutes to connect, and then turn on the router, also giving it some time to connect. Finally, turn your computers back on and check connectivity again.
- It’s Plugged In, Right? It might sound silly, but always check to make sure that the cables in and out of the device are still plugged in on both sides of the connection.
- Cause Some Trouble. It sounds silly, but re-create the problem a few times before you call IT management. They won’t be able to fix it unless they can see what’s happening, so make sure you can show them.
- Google It. If you’re getting an error message, Google it. It might just mean that you need to load more paper into your program or re-install a program.
If these tips don’t work, it’s probably a good idea to call IT support. They’ll appreciate knowing that you’ve already performed some basic troubleshooting and saved them some trouble. For the most part, however, these steps will take care of any minor problems you may be experiencing. More like this blog.